Tuesday, 23 September 2008

Moment of truth: visits to the childcare centres

Learning Vision Blk 128: 7/10
Big centre. quite noisy. Saw this malay teacher practically screaming at the kids but i guess it is not working as the kids were not listening to her. They have different corners for different classes. As i walk past this little window, i saw the playgroup class i suppose since those kids are so small. A teacher reading a book to a group of about 8 kids siting around the table attentively. Seems positive sight. But haven been inside so i am not very sure but they sure look crowded.

Kiddy ABC Blk 176C : Not able to rate
Located inside the RC. Only 1.5 hr/ 2 hr class for playgroup. Spoke to a mummy waiting outside the RC. She said so far not too bad. Fees charged at $145 per mth $75 every half a yr for the mats. Wasn't able to see the classrooms inside.

Brightkids Blk 175D : 6.5/10
Big centre. Very noisy. Kids running everywhere because it is meal time. They have their own kitchen. Saw the playgroup classes with kids waiting for their food. Got 2 gals sweating all over. Both of their hair are all wet and untidy. I think ratio might be 1:8 and the centre sure look crowded too.

More to update soon....

3 comments:

Edison's Mum said...

Hi Phoebe,
Personally, I don't think the kids can't learn much from the playgroup. In these ordinary (neighbourhood) childcare centers, they only provide the necessities such as feeding, napping, showers etc. Not too much of enrichment and learning. Unless you enrol Ryann with those Montessori schools. The fees will be very expensive.

I would rather continue to have my maid taking care of Edison during the weekdays. I can teach him at night. During the weekends, I will bring him for enrichment classes.

I think the kids can learn more from enrichment classes rather than playgroup.

Just my two cents worth. If you need further information on pre-school, you can visit this website:

http://preschool.sg/

Cheers!

jenfaith said...

Yo Phoebe, like what I shared with you on MSN, I personally feel going to a full day childcare for 18 mths is abit too "siong" for them. But if you are talking about those 2-3 hours playgroup, then I guess it's fine.

Phoebe Low said...

Hi hi, i didnt realize got comments until now. =p

Actually, I have no intention to put him on full day childcare. Just half day.

Personally i feel that the neighbourhood childcare centers does play an important part for learning because my nephew learn alot of things in a normal neighbourhood childcare center. He was even toilet trained, free from pacifier and improved alot on verbal skills. He was there since 18 mths.I guess it depends on the school and the teachers. And it actualy taught them interaction with other kids. Whereas those enrichment class i sending Ryann not much of interaction with other children.
Thus i putting childcare or those 2hr playgroup as priority.Not for the sake of caregiving but more for the exposure for Ryann rather then he stay home learn nothing.